Saturday, January 30, 2010

Day 66 - Run-down and Voiceover Promotion

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

So today I felt like crap.  I felt run-down and just ick.  I tried to get motivated to get up and get going and I just didn't have it in me.

Guess I am taking today as a recovery day.  I hate when my body tells me when it needs stuff.  I mean, I'm glad it does, but I wish it and my mind would be on the same schedule.

Anyhow, it wasn't too much of an issue since I had a real goal in mind: Send out round 1 of my voiceover promotion postcards.

It's such a crazy/different type of promoting.  The marketing on this side of the business is nothing like the other side.

I know once I get into it and get my groove it will get easier.  It just feels like craziness while I'm trying to get it done the first time.  The learning curve is HUGE.  I just have to accept that I don't "get" it yet and know the next time or the next next time will come easier.

I did complete it, though, so I know that it was important to get on that train and see it through this week.

Now.  Most importantly, I need to realize that it is just as important for me to schedule time to work on THIS as it is to work on my business with my sister-in-law, Carrie, as it is to schedule time to meet with my  mom to plan/work on the wedding.  Whew!  I am surprised there are enough hours in the day/in the week to get everything done!!

That's always been my issue.  I never feel like I'm getting enough done.

I look at my apartment and sigh dreadfully that there is SO MUCH I could do to make it more habitable and feel less cluttered and organized and BLECH.  I feel overwhelmed by everything we have to do every single day/week: Dishes, cleaning the bathroom, vacuuming, laundry, cleaning the mammal's cages, dusting, changing the sheets, grocery shopping, etc, etc, etc.  It all becomes WAY too much after a while.  When does one get to take a break?  And will I ever get a break where I feel like I'm done?  Where everything really is in its place?

I might have to start triaging my life like I triaged my career.  I decided to focus on film and voiceover for the moment.  I'm not auditioning for live theatre, (although I've recently been handed two separate opportunities that I'm, of course, not turning down), and I'm really making sure my focus has my attention.  I think I need to do that in my apartment.  I need to tackle one project at a time and just realize that it's got to be completed before I'm allowed to tackle the next one.

For example:  My photos.  Oy vey!  I have so many and I want to scan them so I don't risk ever losing them.  BUT, I also have to go through them.  I have two boxes (bigger than shoe boxes) FULL of photos as well as many photo albums.  This project will take quite a while to get through.

Then there are the cross-stitching projects I've started and never completed.  They live in my closet and I miss working on them.  I love to cross-stitch.
Same thing with knitting.  I have a 1/2 completed  project I'm trying to finish for my best friend.  UGH.

Ok. I guess I need to write a real list of all the projects I plan/need to complete in order to really get a clue as to which to tackle and when.

This could take years. :)  Sigh.  But if I really give myself a goal to work on these things, maybe I can actually get them done.  I'd be happy giving myself an hour a week as long as I'm DOING something. Even if they take a long time, it's better than not working on them at all.  At least I can say I'm making SOME progress, right?

First up:  My best friend's gift. I was hoping to complete it by her birthday which was in January. If I can complete that by MY birthday (it's the taint of March...March 16th. --- taint the Ides, taint St. Patrick's Day--) then I can send her a holiday/birthday gift on my birthday and that would be sort of like getting it on-time. ;)

Ok.  Going to bed and going to wake up strong.

Today's Goal: Postcards. No excuses. = SUCCESS!

Tomorrow's Goal: Get back to the routine

Calories Consumed: 913

Workout - NONE

1 comment:

  1. Hey Ali,

    When I started my process I wrote down every single thing I could think of that I wanted to get done. I did it on separate sheets of paper in categories. Mine were: household, health, career, finances, relationships and Christmas (cuz it was early Dec.)

    Also the planner I'm using now has goals divided this way: spiritual, family, career, physical, personal, social, educationsl, financial. Either way, it helps to do a mental dump and post it on your wall or keep it handy where you can easily cross things off and add things as you think of them.

    It may look overwhelming at first, but it's easier to focus on those days when you know you just have to do something but you can't think of where to start. Or when you're just motivated enough to take care of 1 thing, but you're not sure what to do, it's easy to pick something off the list.

    At least, this is what was helpful to me. :)

    ReplyDelete