Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Day 1 - how daunting...

Monday, November 23, 2009

What is the purpose of this blog? Well, I've struggled with my weight since I was 9 years old.

I'm tired of the excuses. Today is a brand new day. And I like me more today than I have in the past. And I plan to like me better in the future than I do today.

I'm getting married to the most wonderful man in June, 2010. And I've been cast as a supporting role in an independent feature film which starts shooting this winter (Jan. 2010).

...and I'm probably, at least, 20 pounds away from my "ideal" weight.

Ok...what does "ideal" mean? Well, according to every website/book/magazine I've read about BMI's and height and so forth, I should weigh about 20 pounds LESS than I do, currently, in order to be in a good place.

Yes. I know. The scale is not my only guide. Trust me. I lost this weight and was about 20 pounds from where I am now and I looked great, but I wasn't toned. I took over-the-counter weight pills (they no longer exist) and just watched the pounds melt away. I also found myself irritable and jittery. But I looked great in my jeans.

This time I plan to do everything naturally and correctly. Watching everything I put in my mouth (and writing it down!) and making sure I'm weight-training and getting in some cardio.

For me, the number on the scale is something I'm forced to put on my resume. So, it's an important number to know but not necessarily one I'll completely focus on.

Size does matter. In clothes, that is. I was wearing a size 2, at my lowest. I'm not there now. No way. But today, I am on my way.

I have a few goals set up. I want to lose 10 pounds before the first day of shooting. That will be 2 whole sizes for my 5'2" frame.
My first day in front of the camera is January 17, 2010. That means I have less than 8 weeks to lose 10 pounds. I'm sure it seems "totally doable". I know people tend to lose a pound a week and more! I have to say, for me, it's really difficult to lose weight. I have been at the same weight (fluctuating up 2 pounds and down 2 pounds) since January 2009. I have had a very difficult time breaking the plateau.

I plan to hit this goal and keep losing as we continue shooting.

By June 19, 2010, I plan to be down another 10 pounds. I would love to walk down the aisle having accomplished this goal. But, my journey does NOT end there. I plan to stay fit and maintain and tone up. It's my goal to be as healthy as I can be and still find the balance in my life.

I plan to weigh myself in on Fridays. Why Fridays? I don't know. Just feels like the right day for it.

There it is: My process.

Calories consumed today: 1,156

Workout: 50 biceps curls (8 lbs), 50 triceps extensions (8 lbs), 50 shoulder presses (5 lbs), 50 chest flies (8 lbs)
10 minutes of cardio

2 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you! I joined a gym on Friday and got a personal trainer. I decided that's my Christmas gift to myself. I am also tired of making up excuses to myself about why I am unhappy with how I look. Apparently I have the potential to look the way I want and be three pounds from my goal weight in three months. But I have to start logging the food I eat as well to realise what I need to work on.

    I can't tell you how excited I am for all of this. Maybe we can be exercise buddies. I have a few guest passes if you'd like to come with me some time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Silexia!!! Absolutely! I'd LOVE it! You're a rockstar and we can DO THIS! So proud of you. I think my Christmakkah gift to myself is going to be a bodybugg. http://www.bodybugg.com/ It's what they use on The Biggest Loser to track their calories! So excited about it. I've been wanting one for a while and my Aunt who passed away gave me money for my birthday. In her honor, I'm buying something I WANT for myself. And it'll help me reach my goals! LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete